Friday, April 18, 2008

The summer wind....

So I'm going to get a little dear diary on everyone now, but I'm real excited for the summer and need to vent.

First of all, I managed to score myself a great apartment. It's right down the street from Rancho Relaxo, where we have the Two Way Monologues shows all the time. Mars Food is right around the corner so don't worry mum, I'll be eating a balanced, greasy breakfast every morning. I have two sweet roommates and the apartment is real nice. Bonus points.

Next up, I'll be working with Community Bike Network for the summer. Ill be recycling old bikes to be rebuilt. It's great because I'm sure everyone knows how big into bikes I am, but this is better than working at a bike shop or something because it's more like giving back to the cycling community.

And of course there's Bike Month. I haven't figured out all of the events that I'm going to take part in yet, but Kery and I definately want to take part in Pedals and Paint. It's being put on by Spacing Magazine (who I'm hoping to intern with next year) and it's pretty much an art project where participants go around the city and spray paint all the abandoned bikes that are still chained to posts. It's a very 'Kensington' thing to do, but I think it's a great idea. There's a ton of savaged bikes just sitting around downtown and it looks pretty trashy, adding a bit of bright colour will at least add to the landscape a bit more... or maintain the status quo.

I'm a little sad about leaving campus for the summer though, because I have just recently discovered the West Humber Trail. It's a 17 km roundtrip that goes fromthe 427 and Finch, all the way out to Islington, following the Humber River. It's great because it passes right behind residence. The western strech of it is real nice because the pavement is in better condition so I can ride 'no-hands' for long periods of time. I've been riding it every day since the weather has turned nice.

There's going to be a lot going on with TWM soon too. We have a compilation album coming out soon with a lot of the bands who have played our showcases. This is coming out in May and is going to be celebrated with a three-night CD release party at Rancho Relaxo featuring (I think) 12 of the 15 bands on the compilation. Mark Berube is headlining the entire event and judging by the 2 previous shows he's played with us, this is going to be a BIG three nights!

Also, I'm going to be sitting down for some quick interviews with OPOPO and Les Handclaps tonight before they hit the stage at the Rancho. So keep your eyes posted for that soon.

No comments: